|Link to Open Access Repositories in Ireland|
The open access movement is the worldwide effort to provide free online access to scholarly research literature, especially peer-reviewed journal articles and their preprints.
Over the last decade there has been dramatic growth in open access resources with many thousands of articles now freely. Our listing provides a guide to the major scholarly open access resources, repositories and directories.
Open Access through the Library Catalogue
- We have selected scholarly open access resources on your behalf and made them discoverable through the Library Catalogue. Choose ‘Including Articles’ from the drop down and your results will include open access resources as well as our subscription services.
Introducing Open Access Resources
- ARAN : NUI Galway's institutional repository
- RIAN :the portal for open access Irish research publications
- SPARC : a global leader in the open access movement
- Open Library of Humanities : supported by the seven Irish University Libraries, this is a gold open access publisher for the humanities. Currently features 10 journals in the broad humanities.
- BioMed Central : 220 open access, online, peer-reviewed journals.
- eLIFE Sciences : publishes research in the life sciences and biomedicine
- Elsevier Open Access Journals : link to open access journals on Elsevier.
- Open Biology : published by the Royal Society.
- Open Humanities Press: peer-reviewed open access books and journals in the humanities.
- Oxford Open Journals :link to open access journals and articles on Oxford Universities Press.
- PeerJ : open access for Biology and Medicine.
- Public Library of Science (PLoS): a non-profit publisher of peer-reviewed journals including PLOS ONE and PLOS Biology.
- SAGE Open :open access articles on the social sciences.
- Scopus open access :discover open access articles on Scopus
- Taylor & Francis Open Journals : open access on Taylor & Francis
- Wiley Open Access journals :open access journals across biological, chemical and health sciences, including Ecology and Evolution.
- DOAJ: Directory of Open Access Journals : an online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals.
- DOAB: Directory of Open Access Books : a directory of academic peer-reviewed books from many publishers.
- OpenDOAR: Directory of Open Access Repositories : provides access to academic open access repositories from around the world.
- rEPec : Research papers in Economics
- ROAR: Registry of Open Access Repositories : promotes the development of open access by providing timely information about the growth and status of repositories throughout the world.
- ROAD : UNESCO funded project to create a directory of open access publications, including journals, conferences and annual volumes.
- SSRN: Social Science Research Network
Open Access Search Engines
- aRxiv : open access to e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Quantitative Biology, Quantitative Finance and Statistics.
- BASE : BASE provides more than 50 million documents from more than 2,900 sources. You can access the full texts of about 75% of the indexed documents
- CORE : 20 million articles worldwide, including pre-publication version of journal articles, book chapters, conference papers and theses. You can limit your search to full text articles and if an article is peer reviewed this is specified.
- Google Scholar : the most common way of locating open access materials. Often a pre-print of the article and the publisher's version will appear in the search results.
- PubMed Central : contains open access subset of biomedical and life sciences journal literature.
Open Access Books
- OAPEN Library : Contains freely accessible academic books, mainly in the area of humanities and social sciences
- DOAB: Directory of Open Access Books : A directory of academic peer-reviewed books from many publishers.
- Palgrave Connect: Open access chapters and books.
- Project Gutenburg: Project Gutenberg offers over 53,000 free ebooks: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online
- Intech : 2700 books in science, technology and medicine
James Hardiman Library